RFID Survey: More than One Third of Companies Surveyed are Using RFID Technology
CYBRA Corporation, the developer of award-winning MarkMagicTM Bar Code Labels, RFID Tags, and Electronic Forms Software and EdgeMagic® Integrated RFID Control Software, just released the findings of their latest customer survey of RFID trends.
A detailed analysis of the results from the recent RFID survey carried out by CYBRA Corporation showed that 67% of organizations are already in the process of implementing RFID technology, while an additional 23% are in the pilot phase. In comparison to an almost identical survey conducted by CYBRA in 2008, only 28% of respondents claimed that they were using or piloting RFID.
Other highlights from the analysis included:
- Change is in the air, as most respondents are currently either already using or creating plans to implement RFID in the near future (80%).
While most organizations (regardless of their industry) were either implementing RFID or evaluating the use of RFID, most agree that they will do it not only for EPC compliance, but because they realize they will maximize their profits.
- Efficiency and EPC Compliance remain the top two business objectives that determine RFID adoption.
The top key benefits of RFID adoption are improved inventory accuracy (29%), profits would increase (26%), and overall increase efficiency (24%).
- The payback period, or ROI, of RFID investment was less than two years (44%).
Respondents assert that the reason for this time frame was because RFID helped reduce labor costs, software, tags, and hardware were less expensive than expected, and inventory accuracy was greatly improved.
- For RFID Users, the OS/400 and i5/OS remains the preferred computing platform (72%).
When asked to measure their satisfaction with the platform, 56% stated that they are completely satisfied with OS/400 and i5/OS.
- IBM System i remains the prevalent software platform (84%).
Respondents prefer the System i. Most respondents used it alone or simultaneously with Windows. 58% of OS/400 and i5/OS users are in the manufacturing industry. When asked what they will be using two years from now, responses demonstrated that there will be an increased use of OS/400 and i5/OS alone or simultaneously with Windows.
- CYBRA’s EdgeMagic and MarkMagic Software remain the preferred Software platform for RFID application (59%).
CYBRA Software users preferred the software to use for inventory and tracking purposes.
- Only 8% of respondents answered that they will not be using RFID at all. These respondents state that their reasons are that they are worried about high costs and that there isn’t enough evidence of ROI.
This is down from 2008, where 15% of respondents answered that they are not using RFID, and will not be using RFID in the future.